A popular cosmetic dentist option to enhance your natural smile.
Do you feel that your teeth are dull and can benefit from a refreshing dental treatment? Teeth whitening is an option to enhance your smile by making your teeth whiter and brighter without damaging your existing teeth.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a chemical process used to lighten the colour of your teeth. It targets stains and discolouration which improves the appearance of your teeth. The teeth whitening process does not remove any of the tooth surface.
What can cause my teeth to be discoloured?
There are a number of reasons why your teeth have become discoloured and why you might be considering teeth whitening:
- Natural dull coloured teeth
- Stains from strong coloured food and drink such as coffee and red wine
- Tartar or calculus build up
- Cracks in the teeth which take in stains
- Teeth have become more stained as you have aged
Is teeth whitening safe?
Most patients biggest worry about the teeth whitening procedure is if the treatment is safe. Dentists and professionals have tested to make sure the products used in teeth whitening are both safe and effective.
With most treatments there a few risks that can occur within the teeth whitening procedure:
- Higher concentrations of bleach are used in the in-office treatment. This can irritate the gums if they come into contact with the bleach. This irritation is reduced by cleaning the gums to remove any bleach.
- Teeth with excessive sensitivity might feel pain or discomfort through the procedure as they tend to react to a difference in temperatures.
- Teeth with tooth decay, fractured structures or broken fillings can experience more discomfort than healthy teeth.
What are my teeth whitening options?
You have the choice of in office bleaching (performed entirely in the dental chair) or take-home teeth whitening.
- The in-office whitening takes about two hours in the dental chair. A comprehensive check-up and teeth cleaning is recommended prior to the whitening session. The procedure begins with a short preparation to cover and protect the gums, leaving the teeth exposed. The dentist then applies the whitening gel which will break up the stains and discoloration on your teeth. The gel is applied every 15 minutes, for a total treatment of three rounds.
- For take-home whitening, the dentist will construct a set of custom-made bleaching trays for you. The custom trays ensure that the correct amount of whitening material is used and that the patient’s teeth are properly exposed. The dentist provides the patient with the materials and instructions and also answers all questions the patient may have about the procedure. A home whitening session can last about 45 minutes each night for one to two weeks. Typically, two or three weeks after your home teeth whitening regime, you will return to your dentist for a follow up visit.
How long does teeth whitening last?
Teeth whitening is not a permanent procedure. Results can last for one year or more, depending upon your personal habits and diet; food and drinks such as coffee, red wine and tomato based foods can adversely affect the whitening treatment.
In most cases, the whitening procedure is very effective and patients are pleased with the results.
Teeth Whitening Brisbane
At My Dental Care @ West End, we provide a wide range of cosmetic dental services. If you’re looking to have your teeth professionally whitened, we’re happy to assist you in any way we can! Contact us today and take that step towards improving your smile and overall oral health.